Dan Paul Smith

Interface and visualisation developer.

Wednesday 15 December 2010

The character who wasn't there

I use an app called Coda to write code - every so often (once a day perhaps), a sneaky invisible character appears in my code - specifically after the opening bracket of an "if" statement ( "if(...){" ) - which causes my code to break without any debug/error information at all. I usually have to manually scroll through the relevant code I was working on using the arrow keys until my claret (the cursor that appears when you type) appeared to "hit a wall" - as in it wouldn't scroll left or right even though I was pressing the key's alternatively.



I have no idea what this character is apart from that it's HEX code is "08" - and I've captured it here in between the letters "s" and "a":



sa



So from now on I can just search for this invisible character within my code when something isn't working - but thought it was worth writing about to see if anyone else has experienced an invisible character while coding before? An annoying time waster.

No comments: